Sunday, December 14, 2008

Valparaiso...Not the City for Me

Well, I made it on a bus today to the coastal city of Valparaiso. Although it maybe charming when the sun is out, I´m thinking that this isn´t the place for me. I did happen to find a very cute bed and breakfast, that is half price if you pay in pesos as opposed to dollars. Go figure.

It has a wonderful view and my cute little room with a bathroom across the hall reminds me of my room at my parents´house with angled walls. My room, unlike this one, doesn´t overlook the bay which is pretty spectacular. I was writing in my journal before lunch, while I was thinking that I was kind of diggin´this place, talking about how great everything was and of course, it doesn´t take much to change your mind, which is exactly what happened with me.

I´m actually on my way back from Pablo Neruda´s house, the famous poet. Now that was something spectacular in and of itself as well. He had delusions of being a sailor given the decor of his house but apparently didn´t really care for the sea. He accomplished a variety of things during his lifetime, a Senator, a Communist, an artist and designer, a collector of odd art (hot air balloon plates), and of course a Nobel Prize winning poet.

It was on my way back from his house that I decided that this wasn´t the place for me. I waited for a bit outside the museum to see if a cab would pass and when none did, I thought, well, at least it´s not uphill. So I took off on foot. Of course, Chile is like Peru and they are definitely not in short supply of street dogs either so as I was walking I was watching them sleep, wander around sniffing for food, or playing together, when the road for cars I was walking on suddenly ended and became a pedestrian street. This wasn´t a problem until I rounded the corner to see 5 guys all dress in black, hanging out. Not where I wanted to be. So I quickly sort of ducked down and went up the way I came thinking, ¨I´ll find another way down.¨

I´m sure the guy who was standing on his balcony when I walked by the first time thought I was a nut when I came walking back up the street. I took another pedestrian road (as that was my only choice) and started to say a prayer, ¨Please don´t let this be the same...Great! There they are. This is not good.¨ I said, ¨Hello. What´s up?¨They said hello as well. You always hear about people saying the hair was standing straight up on their spine. Well, I didn´t stop to ask them if they could see it but when one guy touched my shoulder when I passed and made a not-so-nice comment, it was all I could do to keep walking at the same pace until I rounded the corner where I can promise you I certainly picked up the pace (and I´m not talking salsa here folks).

Besides the time when I might have been kidnapped in Arequipa, this is the first time I have felt threatened or at least had a really bad feeling. I´m alive though and very thankful that I don´t have anything other than a close call to type about. Tomorrow morning after breakfast I´m going to catch the train to Viña del Mar where hopefully it will be little more my style. Maybe it´s because I was expecting a little more based off of what I read in my book but I´m a little disappointed with this city. The nice thing is, is that I can call my own shots and when I´m done, I can be done. And I´m done, except for stopping at the store I saw as I left my hotel to buy a bottle of wine which I plan on drinking while I read poems this evening.

1 comment:

Ryan and Kate said...

How scary - I'm so glad you are safe!!! YIKES - come home cousin -I want to hug you!q