Saturday, December 13, 2008

Crossing the Border at Midnight

I had originally planned to cross the border this morning but last night when I arrived in Tacna, one of the southern most cities in Peru, I ran into two ladies who were headed that way so I jumped in the taxi with them. Yes, this is how you actually travel in South America...it´s called collectivo. Basically, you find some people who are going the same way you are and you pitch in to pay for the taxi.

Crossing the border was much easier than I expected. Especially with my visa that I´m pretty sure had expired two days prior. The man didn´t say anything to me about it. He only asked when I planned to return to Peru. My answer...January. So, that was it. They checked my luggage for illegal substances and I am now free to venture around Chile.

The ladies I was with found me a hotel which was very nice of them since my guide book doesn´t have a single page about Arica. I got up this morning and after walking for over an hour, finally found an ATM so I could get some Chilean Pesos. After that, I was able to pay for a taxi to head to El Centro to find a travel agency. I now have in my possession a plane ticket to Santiago. Once I get there I have NO, count ém NO plans. I´ll either head to Buenos Aires, Mendoza, or Tierra del Fuego, basically Patagonia, and the southernmost tip of Chile. It just depends on what I feel like.

So far, I´m liking Chile. I´m not quite sure what to think of a plane ticket that costs just over $100,000 pesos. And it´s pretty odd when a bottle of water costs you $400 pesos. Basically it´s the same as 300 soles for the plane ticket and 50 centavos for the water. It sure does sound scary though. I´ve wandered the streets for awhile, found a local fish market...so cool! And of course, found an internet place where for less than 25 cents I can play on the internet for an hour. Speaking of, my time´s almost up and I need to find some lunch.

If you´re counting...11 days until Christmas! Chau!

No comments: