Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Little Trivia

Well, I know that I promised you all that I would write about my Colca Canyon experience this weekend and since I've noticed that there are actually a few of you who are logging onto the site I thought I should at least put something out here since I didn't get around to the trip report as I had an entire host of things to do this weekend. See below for details...

Friday night I spent the evening with Renato, my host brother, telling him about the wonders of American music...in spanish of course. I brought along my laptop so I have lots of completely amazing hit songs which I shared with him. I explain why Dave Matthews Band is probably one of the most incredible bands of all time, why The Hooters were popular in the 80's, and introduced him to lesser known artists such as Griffin House and legends such as Elvis and Frank Sinatra. Needless to say, his computer was working overtime the rest of the night downloading music from the internet. I will also have to say that he shared some interesting Peruvian music with me...some of which I really liked.

Saturday morning I got up early so I could take my 30 minute walk to school. So as not to disappoint the street pups, I packed several treats and was busy along the way handing them out to wayward strays. After my four hours of class, during which I learned the past tense...yahoo!!! Yes, in two weeks time I am now in my American equivalent of my third semester of spanish classes. Amazing! As usual, when I returned, I needed to take my afternoon nap. I've finally decided that it's not only my brain working really hard that's making me tired, it's also because I'm sitting outside in the sun for four hours each day. We're under an umbrella but the material isn't very thick so a lot of light is filtering through. I could really give Sherlock Holmes a run for his money...it only took me two weeks to notice.

So after my re-energizing nap I got up to take a semi-warm shower (by this time it was past the 3 o'clock cut off for agua caliente) and got ready to go out. I had a wonderful dinner with my host family and when I didn't hear back from my Scottish friend, Craig, another student at the school, Renato said he'd go out with me so I wouldn't have to go by myself. My friends, Anna and Ines, were apparently near death on their Misti hike, one of the three mountains that surrounds Arequipa at a mere 19,000 feet. (I decided after developing a sinus infection last weekend at Colca that it was probably best that I not go until I had that under control. Boy am I glad I played it smart.) So, Renato and I left the house for an evening of dancing. My dance teacher, Edwardo, said I needed to practice and where else better to practice that at the discoteques? I enjoyed an evening of very bad karaoke singing, live music, and DJ played American and Latin America music collections all in the same club. I had fun trying out my new salsa and merengue moves though. Like they say, practice makes perfect.

Today, because of all my practice last night I didn't crawl out of bed until 11:00. This is proof I'm sure of my desire to only be the very best at everything I do. So after eating breakfast at 11:00, then lunch at 1:00, it was time to start studying. I took at break at 5:00 to head out with Ines to meet Anna at Cusco Coffee near the Plaza. Anna is leaving tomorrow for Puno, Peru, then on to La Paz, Bolivia, then back to Cusco, Peru where we all three hope to meet up to hike Machu Pichu in mid-October. Upon returning, I began my studies where I left off and just now decided to take a break to share with you some more of my incredibly interesting life. :o)

So, now you can understand why I haven't had any time to write about my Colca Canyon adventure. But...the title to this blog is "A Little Trivia" and no, I haven't written anything concerning trivia have I? Nope...but here goes. I've seen this twice since I've been here. The first time I didn't have my camera and the second time (this weekend) I had it but I felt a little bad about taking the picture. The next time I see this I promise I'll take a picture and post it because it's the answer after all! So, here goes....

Question: What has two wheels, a set of pedals, a platform, a rack for stacking things, lots of pots and pans, and a hardworking Peruvian?

1 comment:

megnetic said...

Happy belated birthday! News on the homefront: someone just performed a stellar job on your lawn...

Wow -- that's about all the excitement around here. Why'd you ever leave? haha

Sounds like the trip is going good -- I almost passed out myself when I read that you nearly fell to your death.

Hope you are having a great time and if you need anything, just let us know!

Love,

Meg, Larry, Darlene and Boomer

PS: OU plays Texas today... BOOMER SOONER!