Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Some of My Favorite Things

Any story that doesn't completely tidy things up at the end and let the reader know that everything did turn out happily ever after just wasn't well written. Not that my blog is well written but I am going to share with you some of my favorite things, if only so I can have a smile on my face this morning as I begin the process of getting my cabin and yard back the point where it looks like someone inhabits the place.

My favorite Amy line: "Are you crying about losing YOUR wallet?" (This was said to a 16 year old girl who plays for her. And yes, she was crying over something like that. Just imagine Amy not being very sympathetic toward the situation and you'll hear the tone in her voice, it was priceless.)

My favorite song on my iPod: "Forever in Blue Jeans" by Neil Diamond. (This also just happens to be my theme song although I seem to be missing one key ingredient. I'll let you guess, I got the jeans and me.)

My favorite bumper sticker, still: "My Labrador Retriever is smarter than your honor student." (And I did see some others that made me laugh so don't think there wasn't any competition for this honor.)

Favorite Julie moment: With this girl, it has to be the insightful conversations we have where I think both of us go, "Wow", at least at some point during every discussion. She's one of my people who hold me accountable and isn't afraid to be brutally honest. I love that girl.

Favorite Ben comment: "I'm okay with the directions being as specific as they can." (Believe me, when it comes to canyoneering in Zion National Park, it's very nice when you know exactly where you're going.)

My favorite compliment I received: "I hope I look like that when I'm 34." (This was spoken by one of Holly and Chad's friends from the float trip in Sacramento. The girl was 25ish and couldn't believe I was about to turn 35. Like I said...my favorite compliment. :o) )

My favorite Susan and Raymond moment: Watching Susan squash Raymond and me like little bugs at Rummy Cube. It really is a fun game...probably the best time I've ever had losing. And, yes, I did say that, for real.

Favorite Ben and Angelique moment: Ben and I realizing that we were rockin' 'cause we weren't the ones who didn't get the lid tightened on my Camelbak for our hike at Red Rock Canyon. We're both pretty sure there would have been two more bodies buried out in the desert in unmarked graves had it been one of us. You might be wondering why two and not just one...well, there can't be a witness, duh!

My favorite dialogue with Wyatt: Wyatt - "I love you Kay Beth." Me - "I love you too Wyatt." ('nuf said)

My favorite canyon at Zion National Park: Pine Creek, most definitely. I know, you've been hearing me talk about it for over a month now and still nothing. Someday...as Frank Sinatra sings.

My favorite Robert comment: "I'm literally sweating my ass off." (Hiking, bouldering, and scampering up hills will do that to you in 110 degree heat.)

Favorite moment with Amy, Abygail, Benjamin, and Elijah: Playing in the waterfall. (It's amazing how allowing yourself to act like a child can be so good for your soul.)

Average age of the world's best (and my favorite) huggers: Just under 7. (Mr. Behling skewed the results.)

Favorite moment with Amy T. sin (Spanish for without) kids: Going wine tasting and the wonderful conversations that ensued.

Favorite memory of a night out with Regina: Getting separated from the group and hearing people yelling "Oklahoma!" while looking for me. Ghost Riders are kind of like the marines...no one gets left behind. (We call ourselves Ghost Riders because we played for the Roughriders at Crowder and since we're retired, we're, you guessed it...ghosts!)

Favorite moment with Jeremy: Going to church with him on Sunday night. What an experience!

Favorite time with Sheri and Kylin: Playing memory and almost getting beat by a two year old. Yeah, she's really smart for her age.

Favorite song to sing: "Tomorrow" the song from Annie but only with my best Tomorrow singing buddies - Kylin and Sheri. We got quite good at it on the way home from the airport...think barbershop quartet minus one.

Favorite discussion with Holly, Chad, and Alex: Being educated on the definitions of hipsters and emos, and another group I can't mention since I understand the underlying negative meaning. (If you don't know these groups of people, which can be a lot of fun to people watch, let me know and I can school you now.)

Favorite news on the job front while gone: The FDIC has a ton of jobs posted on their website all across the country. (Hopefully this means I can find a job next year.)

Favorite Holly, Chad, and Alex moment: Singing "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey while riding the bus back from the floating trip.

My favorite read: "Eat Pray Love" (And there was some competition: "Smart Girls Think Twice", "When Your Best Isn't Good Enough", "Love is a Choice". All are very good books and I have learned a lot about myself because of them. Of course, I took my Bible, and it is most definitely the best book on the planet. I excluded it just because it really doesn't have any competition.)

Favorite moment with Lee and Minerva: Kayaking in Elkhorn Slough. I had a great time watching all the seals and otters play. And of course the friendly banter between the two of them was always entertaining. :o)

My favorite vehicle: Oh! Hands down, my FJ. It now is better than ever and ready for the next road trip. I picked up some really cool and cute purple Hawaiian flowers with sliver lining on them while with Holly in Sacramento which I'm going to put on the back window. That way everyone will know that a girl drives that hot ride!

Favorite purchase: A scarf I bought at a Celtic store in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, that was actually made in France. Liz got one too and we decided that it kind of went with her theme for this summer so it was perfect anyway...sorry, an inside joke that will have to remain inside.

Favorite sign by a street performer: "Juilliard Fund" (This kid was a saxophonist on the boardwalk in Fairhaven. He was actually quite good and was dressed for the part.)

Favorite time with Liz and Evan: Hanging out at Clayton Beach, playing fetch with Boo, and finding purple starfish on the beach.

My favorite meal: Dinner with Lee and Minerva at Phil's Fish Market. Talk about yummy...crab legs, fire roasted artichokes...Oh! It was absolutely delightful! That's followed closely by Mr. Behling's birthday dinner thanks to a yummy dessert complete with homemade whipped cream, courtesy of Mr. Behling himself.

Favorite gift received: A handmade starfish that Tiffany gave me. I can't find my little hooks or I would already have it hanging in front of my kitchen sink window. Her sister made it and it's beautiful.

Favorite San Juan Island memory: Being the second to last vehicle to skootch onto the ferry. The last one? Some of our new friends whose kayaks hung off the boat. The wait for the next ferry...three hours. Ha!

One of my favorite lines from my new favorite read: "When I get lonely these days, I think: So be lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your unfulfilled yearnings." (Wow, it still gets me.)

My favorite question posed: "Tell me, what is it that you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" (Yep. That's a good one for all of us.)

And last but not least, my favorite passage out of the bible which I found just before I set off on my journey. I would read it every now and then to make sure that I was staying on track. It's from Proverbs 2: 2-11 (NLT):

Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. Cry out for insight, and ask for understanding. Search for them as you would for silver; seek them like hidden treasures. Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord, and you will gain knowledge of God. For the Lord grants wisdom! From His mouth come knowledge and understanding. He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest. He is a shield to those who walk with integrity. He guards the paths of the just and protects those who are faithful to Him. Then you will understand what is right, just, and fair, and you will find the right way to go. For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will fill you with joy. Wise choices will watch over you. Understanding will keep you safe.

I'm now at a time in my life where I get to decide which way to go. Please pray for me that I will hear Him and gain wisdom and understanding and I will be able to make wise choices about my future. That's all for me for now...see you in September.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And my favorite moment with you? Listening to you say, "I've had enough of that guy," and then watching you BLAST that 'hipster' on the other raft with the water cannon...point blank!!

You are welcome to come visit us anytime, KayBeth!

~Holly