Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Must love Dogs...and Cats

If you know me at all, then you know that I'm what most people call a "dog person". What you may not know is that I secretly like cats. We always had a ton of kittens running around when I was a kid. I'm not sure what happened to them...most of them mysteriously disappeared. I do remember however, scrubbing in on several tail bobbing surgeries. Living at Martin Manor can be hazardous to your health if you're of the feline persuasion.

The past week I have been surrounded by cat lovers. My Cousin Holly, her soon to be husband, Chad, and his son Alex, are all very attached to Stella. A very attractive, dark haired beauty who accepted me into her domain by grooming my hair on several occasions. My Uncle Lee and Aunt Minerva are the saviors of wayward cats in Seaside, a town along the California coast. I'm not sure how many there are; I think perhaps six in total, not counting the neighbor's cat who comes around every day to say hello. They sport names like Charlie, Chow, and James Bond, just to name a few.

As I was cruising through the house yesterday afternoon something on the fridge caught my eye. Yes, I did see the word "dog"...in a cat house. How strange! Reading further, I understood why this document had been given permanent residence status in the Scheffel household. And yes, even though I am a dog person, it pretty much does sum up what I'm sure is a dog's view of life and it obviously accurately reflects all the cats I've encountered in my short life...with the exception of Kitty, my mom and dad's cute little gray and white fuzzball who has decided that life with dogs isn't so bad afterall.

As you read on I'm sure you'll understand why I just couldn't help but share it with you...

Excerpts from a Dog's Diary...(probably Bones and Copper's)

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!

9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!

9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!

10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!

12:00 pm - Lunch! My favorite thing!

1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!

3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!

5:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!

7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!

8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!

11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Excerpts from a Cat's Diary...

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength. The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today, I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the evening. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow...but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe...for now.

If I knew who to give credit to for the above excerpts, I would definitely congratulate them on a job well done. I'm quite sure this is how dogs and cats view their lives.

No comments: