Friday, January 16, 2009

So Many Stories So Little Time

It´s amazing but it´s almost been a month since I last wrote. Believe it or not, I haven´t been hiding out. I´ve just been busy having fun. It´s hard to sit inside in front of a computer when there´s a beach within 200 feet (like today), or a mountain to climb like at Torres del Paine, or a glacier where you can see ice crash into the lake like at Perito Moreno, or snorkeling with giant sealions like at Puerto Madryn, or hours upon hours wandering the Recoleta Cemetery in search of Eva Péron´s crypt. All things I´ve done in the past three weeks or so.

Right now I´m in Punta del Este, Uruguay, which is where the elite of Buenos Aires vacation, and I can completely understand why. It´s beautiful...lots of beaches, clear skies, blue water. Yep! My kind of place. Although, I will have to say that I am longing for the more nondiscript travelers´road right now. There are some really cool things about hanging out in popular places but there´s also something to be said for getting off the beaten path. I´m ready to head somewhere where I can´t speak English because no one will understand me and where no one will attempt to speak English. For the past week, being here and in Buenos Aires, I´ve felt as if I have been in Europe, which is pretty much the look they were going for. So I suppose you could say at least they were successful.

I´ve still got a whole list of places I want to see before I head back to the States and while my list seems to keep expanding, my time remaining seems to be shrinking. What´s up with that? If I were going to stick to my original plan I would be heading back to Miami in 10 days. I´m not though. I´ll be heading back to Buenos Aires at some point, then on to Iguazu Falls, then through Bolivia, a stop back in Arequipa, then on to The Galapagos, and finally Columbia. Not really sure how long that´s all going to take me. But that´s sort of the plan...at least for the next 5 minutes.

Promise to find some time to write about the following:

My excellent and amazing 5 day, 4 night, tote around all your own stuff adventure at Torres del Paine, Patagonia, Chile.

The Perito Moreno Glacier in El Calafate, Argentina, and the crazy way I ended up getting there.

The wildlife at Península Valdés, near Puerto Madryn, Argentina, along with stories about tango in the street and how to get kicked off a bus in Buenos Aires.

For now, the most exciting thing (besides lying on the beach) that´s happened in Punta del Este is that I missed yet another bus. I know...you´d think at some point I´d smarten up...I did, too.

So, stay tuned...not sure when it´ll happen but hopefully it will be worth your while to check back. I was going to upload some pictures but it´s not going to happen today...so sorry! Got some really cool ones, too!

No comments: