Sunday, June 29, 2008

And So It Still Remains a Mystery

As we were driving in our all-terrain Impala, we were doubly excited about what the day had in store. Canyoneering in Mystery Canyon...is there anything more mysterious than that? Only 12 hikers a day have the privilege of canyoneering in this highly sought after canyon. On the way, Amy asked that I NOT read anything about hiking as she'd had her fill of it the day before while hiking out of Birch Canyon. So, instead I read the introduction to the Canyon and read out loud about all 11 rappels. In another guide book we took with us, it said that the trailhead is often missed by canyoneers and approximately 2 hikers each year have to be rescued on this trail. It also said that several people get confused and enter adjacent canyons which didn't sound like a smart thing to do. The thing I was most excited about was towards the end of the trail when Mystery Canyon would run into The Narrows. We all knew it would be a long and difficult day and had figured that it would take us around 10 hours from start to finish. We were ready though.

Mystery Canyon received its name because the source of the waterfalls was a mystery. If you'd have asked us three hours into our trip we would have told you it was because it was a mystery where the trailhead was located. Ironically, when we finally did find it, it was only 50 feet from a point where we stopped to take this picture.

Now, from the picture, you may think "How in the world were they going to get down there?" Well, when we finally found the trailhead, Amy said the exact same thing. It's a technical canyon. We all still think we could have done it but by the time we found the trailhead it was 2:30; too late to go down. I really wanted to go and I'm sure a few of the others did as well. If you'd have read about the rappels and the beautiful lagoons I'm quite sure you would have wanted to go on as well. But we didn't have headlamps or warm clothing and after spending several hours wandering the top of the ridge we probably would have run short on water as well. As disappointing and aggravating as it was, we all think that God was looking out for us. Amy is convinced that someone was going to die and that He was protecting us. And perhaps maybe He was. It's still on my list of things to do one day though.

Ben was really good about taking videos and as you look and listen to the commentary, the excitment and following disappointment are completely evident. I suppose it was a nice hike in the woods on a pretty day though. Just not the one I was intending on taking.

Side note: At one point, I heard the familiar "do-do-do-do" of an incoming email and thought "I have reception?" And by George, I did. So, I called information and got the number for Zion National Park. I went through the menu items and listened to several suggestions for fixes to common problems, only to hear in the end that if I needed to speak to a Park Ranger to please leave my name, number, and a brief message, and someone would call me back. Not any help at all. Technically, it wasn't an emergency so I fought the urge to call the emergency phone number provided.

I realize that I haven't caught up with all the excitement through today but I've typed all I can type for one day and not get paid for doing it. So, it looks like Pine Creek Canyon Trail and Bryce Canyon will have to wait for another day. It's been fun looking through the pictures and videos though. We got some excellent footage of Pine Creek which means I'll have to research how in the world to combine separate videos. Always learning!

Tomorrow (actually today) we'll head back to Vegas. It's Amy's first time so we're going to take her around and show her what it's all about. Well, probably not ALL but some of the fun parts at least. Then on Monday, it's off to California, where I'll get to visit my friend and roommate from my last year at school, Amy T. Hall. I'm looking forward to each and every day and I hope you are as well. Ciao.

No comments: